Owasso is one of the fastest
growing cities in Oklahoma,
with an average annual growth rate 3% or better. The city of Owasso
is a major contributor to the Tulsa regional metro economy. Living in
Owasso means enjoying all the amenities and choices available in one of
America’s most livable metropolitan areas without living in the
One of Owasso's key strengths is its strategic location and immediate accessibility to the Tulsa International Airport, the Tulsa Port of Catoosa, and the Cherokee Industrial Park. With air, rail, interstate, water and intermodal transportation, Owasso’s location provides access to 18.9 million people within a 250-mile radius. Owasso's accessibility, affluence, educational opportunities, shopping, character and quality of life have made this community "home" to many of those who work for these Tulsa regional anchor employers.
Additionally, approximately 700,000 people live within a 30-minute drive of downtown Owasso; more than 1 million people live within 50 miles of Owasso’s downtown. The unique alignment of the region's highway system makes Owasso the collection point for consumers in a 4,300+ square mile area. U.S. Highways 75 and 169 are major north/south freeways that feed into Owasso. State Highway 20 feeds residents to the west and east of Owasso. This "funnel" effect is comprised of several cities in northeastern Oklahoma and southern Kansas that have little or no retail in their local areas. Our traffic counts prove we are much bigger than we appear. National retailers have located and are successful in Owasso, Oklahoma.
Major industries in the Owasso area include aerospace, including aerospace manufacturing and aviation; healthcare; energy; machinery; and transportation, distribution and logistics. Small business and entrepreneurs also thrive here. Industry clusters positioned to grow in the Owasso area include aerospace parts manufacturing, metal manufacturing, destination and R&D medical, office/headquarters, and information technology.
The city of Owasso has earned rankings such as the #1 safest city in Oklahoma (SafeHome.org) and the #3 Best Places to Live in the Tulsa Area (niche.com). As part of the Tulsa metro area, Owasso also enjoys the rankings earned by the entire metro area, including:
- #1U.S. city where incomes are growing the fastest (GOBankingRates.com 2017)
- #1among top 10 best U.S. cities for young entrepreneurs (NerdWallet.com 2015)
- #1best place for women to start a business (Thumbtack.com 2016)
- #1city among top 10 U.S. cities for number of manufacturing graduates (Site Selection Group 2015)
- #1lowest rent-to-income ratio in Oklahoma (LendEDU.com 2020)
- #1state with lowest overall business tax burden (Anderson Economic Group 2017)
- #1city among
top 100 U.S. metros on
growth and inclusion (Brookings Institute 2016)
- #3 most popular city for extremely active millennials (ActiveNetwork.com 2017)
- #3 state for wind power capacity (American Wind Energy Association 2017)
- #3 nationally for new and expanded facilities among tier II cities (Site Selection 2016)
- #4 best large city for starting a business (WalletHub.com 2017)
- #4 best north American city for aerospace (The World’s Most Competitive Cities 2015)
- #5 best city for first-time homebuyers (Smartasset.com 2017)
Several well-known businesses have facilities in the Owasso area including American Airlines, Verizon, Whirlpool, Nordam, Honeywell, Milo's Tea and Macy's. The sufficient numbers of employees and easy-access roads in Owasso make the daytime demand generated by area employers attractive to a variety of businesses, including retailers and restaurants.